Saturday 3 July 2010

Wasn't easy!!


That's it, I've jumped in and started my sketchbook.

I have been thinking about what to do in it, considering all kinds of possibilities for keeping a holiday journal to creating some kind of altered book...all fine and well but ultimately all too ambitious. I decided that I wanted to do my holiday journal in the same way as I always do (very mixed media!) but most important, I'd want to keep it and not send it away forever.

This morning (or possibly, overnight) I decided to use the Sketchbook for the kind of drawings I always mean to do following a holiday but seldom get around to doing. In other words, just grab a few of the photos and explore some of the patterns and images which provoked my interest when I took them. I'm not sure there will be any coherent strand running through it, beyond "these are drawings provoked by a few photos I took".


I spent much of the morning too frightened to do anything in the book itself. I mooched around, dithering. I cut some paper the same size and started on that - then if I made a mistake I could rip it up and begin again. But, sooner or later, I felt it was silly to do that and in a mad moment, dived in and began to work in the book itself. Aaagh!

I didn't work on the first couple of pages but started on about page 5. There are things I don't like and wish I'd done differently, of course, but it was a deliberate choice to work in ink for that very reason. But, the main thing is that I've enjoyed myself!

Anyone else started yet?


Posted by Picasa

1 comment:

  1. It's going to be very interesting Gill. I start every holiday, but never fill a whole sketchbook. So I have loads with less than 1/2 dozen pages worked. but I always need a new one for each holiday. Silly I know. I hope this sketchbook will be finished.

    ReplyDelete

Note: only a member of this blog may post a comment.